Monday 15 October 2007

Aww

There’s some movie in which the hero makes fun of chicks that tell boring stories about the cute thing their niece or nephew did last night. Well, SEE if I CARE, movie hero! You’re neither the boss of me, or George Clooney.


My cute six-year-old niece H. brought me a note/picture. Now, here’s some writing skilz:

I love you. p.s. I love you. I am very happy, love H___. I love you.


I think she makes her point well, no? She also drew pictures of us both together, wearing matching outfits. I’m not sure if that means she is going to start wearing heeled boots and lipstick, or if I get to wear t-shirts with candy-coloured flowers and the odd cartoon character on them.


We played Trouble twice and I beat her both times. I’m pretty sure it’s not ethical to beat a six-year-old at a board game twice in a row, but she took it very well. To be honest, I was too lazy to work out ways to lose. I’m not sure I deserve favourite aunt status.


One of the reasons I headed down there was to deliver my nephew’s b’day pressie, and I am pleased to say it was quite a hit. Have you heard of ‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’? It’s an old-fashioned, Boys Own-type big book of all things that boys (and girls) should know – knot tying, lists of things like the seven wonders of the ancient world, ‘Girls’ and how to talk to them, Morse Code, and things to keep in your pockets (string, pen-knife, etc). It’s wittily written, and bits were read aloud for everyone’s amusement as it got passed around during the evening.


The book is apparently flying off the shelves, and I’m wondering what that says about our society. I rather like that it’s teaching boys to be boys, and the kind of boys that will grow up to be Men. Is it me, or is there a lack of Men? Are others feeling this? I suspect our tech-savvy male peers feel something is lacking in their lives if they’re not also expert in something manly (like knowing how the internal combustion engine works, or whittlin’) that they can teach their sons. Not sure where the pressure originates (women? their fathers? Innate need?). The book made me nostalgic for the days of Richmal Compton’s Just William. Maybe that’s all it is– the pull of nostalgia.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Oh, you've already heard my diatribe on this topic. I won't further brand myself Spiderwoman by continuing on in a public blog.

But I love cute nieces. I"m sure you've fully earned the favorite aunt title. I'm looking forward to when my little niece is old enough to tell me I'm her favorite -- my brother and I are campaigning for Top Ankle honors, but I"m definitely winning. :)

I remember NPR interviewing the author of that "Dangerous Book for Boys." Sounded fun -- I should get me one. I wanna learn how to whittle.

Marie said...

Sorry, Lena. I killed the comments with my blathering. Least I can do is leave another comment :)

lenalou said...

I'm afraid the post killed the comments rather than your comment. Hmm, maybe movie guy was right about cutesy neph-child stories. Can't promise to swear off them, though.

But I am glad that you are winning in the Ankle stakes. It's an important distinction. And thank you for the additional comment. You know I love comments!