Thursday 21 January 2010

Power and Love


A couple of years ago I was chatting to my dad, and mentioned that there’d been a power cut in my building. I got home, and the hallways were pitch dark, and I had to fumble my way to my door, imagining murderers jumping out at me along the way (because murderers can see in the dark, apparently, which, if it were so, would make “Wait Until Dark” a very different film).

A week or two after that, I got an envelope in the post with a little torch in it (flashlight for you of the United States). My dad said he thought it would be a good idea for me to keep it in my handbag in case of future power cuts.

Tonight, I got home, and the power was out. Of course, it happened to be the one in a thousand time that I’d gone out without my purse, so I repeated the whole fumble-door-murderer-jumping experience.

It made me think of my dad, of course, and about his gift. I read “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman last week, being tired of everyone on the planet knowing their love language except me. It’s an interesting read, if a little simplistic. In case you are from Pluto and haven’t read it yet, the idea is that there are five chief ways to express love, and pretty much everyone has a primary love “language.” Your options are words of affirmation (saying nice things), quality time, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. The book is full of examples of relationships that were failing because one person kept (for example) saying sweet things to the other, because that was their own love language, and the recipient only valued quality time, so they felt unloved. In the examples, the giver started offering quality time, the recipient thus received love, and they all lived happily ever after.

I don’t mean to sound cynical, I think there’s a lot of truth to it, and if one is continuously missing out on meaningful expressions of love, it is absolutely going to cause problems.

I just think there’s a little more to it. For example, I also think the responsibility is on the recipient to learn to interpret other languages other than their primary one. Just as we don’t go to Germany and get annoyed if people there speak to us in German, we shouldn’t completely devalue other people’s expressions of love or affection.

For instance, if I’d waited around for my father to give me words of affirmation, I’d have led a very sad existence. I remember getting ready for my brother’s wedding, and saying “does this look all right” to my dad. He said, somewhat reluctantly, “well, I probably shouldn’t say so, but you look very nice.” “Er, why shouldn’t you say so?” “Well, I don’t want you getting conceited.” I’m not sure why he thought that at the age of 30 I was suddenly in danger of getting a swelled head from one compliment from my father, but I let it go.

I happen to like compliments, in general, but it wasn’t my dad’s style, and I knew it, and it was ok. I still knew he loved me, because of things like the torch. And because he’d make sure I had his AAA card if I was driving further than five miles. And because he’d fix things in my house. Or make me a drink. Or tell my aunt to mind her own business if she asked about my love life.

I also think I was fine with not getting words of affirmation from my dad, because my mum is very generous with those. If ever I’m in need of a confidence boost, she will fill that need to the point of embarrassment. She’s also more physically affectionate. And I got plenty of quality time with both. So I was fortunate in getting love in multiple ways from both of them.

Now, I think quality time is probably my primary language, but I’m greedy--I want love in all languages. I think Chapman has a great point, in encouraging us to find out what means most to the people we love. I also think he’s absolutely right in believing that most of us express one or two languages most naturally. But I also think we and our relationships can only get better if we learn to speak and interpret all love languages. I love chocolate, but I don’t want it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Well, not every DAY. I admire my friends who are more fluent in some languages than I, and like the idea of increasing fluency in all, so that I can be a veritable polyglot of love. Doesn’t that sound...lovely?

5 comments:

plainoldsarah said...

i think the word polyglot sounds lovely! but being one is even better. i read that book a good 6 years ago and have struggled ever since to figure out my primary language. i thought i had it down to physical touch, but now that i'm married i find myself asking more for words of affirmation. not sure what's up with that. touch still does it for me, though. unfortunately, i think bret's is more acts of kindness - we're both working at learning new languages!

by the way - i love stories of your dad. he's way different from mine, but it still warms my heart to hear them.

Marie said...

Do you think that in the age of cell phones and blogs and email and Facebook, the whole world's love language will trend toward affirmations, since they'll now be so easy to offer to anyone and everyone from the comfort of your La-Z-Boy?

I've not read the book, but I'd guess affirmation is mine. It somehow boggles my mind that someone might want me to spend *time* with them, even after I offered them such heartfelt praise. Go home, Dear One, (think I) -- eat some chocolate, bask in the well-earned praise. That's what *I* would do!

It's probably not kosher to pick a "best" love language, but I feel quality time is probably the most valuable these days. Talk is cheap, and most of us are materially overindulged and have "enough and to spare" temporally, but time and attention -- that feels like a sacrifice to almost anyone, I'd imagine. And sacrifice is what you're supposed to be doing if you really love, right?

Stop making me soul-search, Lena. Especially on a Friday. And please accept my heartfelt admiration of your candid, sparkling prose.

lenalou said...

Sarah, I really think that for many of us, the balance of languages may be more important than the "rank." I know physical touch is really important to me, but I think I'd start feeling like a piece of meat pretty soon if that was all I was getting--and I think issues like that would come up with any major imbalance. I think it is a great tool to use in analyzing and keeping that balance, and learning, as you are. How fun to be able to put it into practice in marriage!

And thanks, I like being able to share dad stuff with you.

Marie, thank you for the compliment :-) And that's an interesting and plausible observation about our online world. I wonder if that is why I do value quality time--though I guess that could be interpreted as me wanting to make life difficult for others!

See, this is why I like this kind of book. It provoketh the thought :-)

Tech Geek said...

I don't have anything deep to add to these great comments, but just wanted to say-- thank you for this entry, it really struck a chord with me for some reason, and I thank you for the thoughts it has prompted. :-)

Melanie said...

I really enjoyed this post. I must live in a cave cause I haven't read this book, but am very inclined to now. Enjoyed the thoughts on your dad and how your parents showed affection. Makes me reflect on relationships in my life. Thanks!