Monday 10 September 2007

September

On Saturday, M. and I went to the tomato festival and Avenues street fest.

A perfectly ripe tomato is almost a perfect pleasure. We had tomato sandwiches with salt and pepper and pesto and crusty local bread, and I dripped tomato seeds on myself. We tasted tomatoes with names like zebra and black cherry and sunshine, and discovered we had favourites. We listened to the mellow band music, and sat on benches and enjoyed the weather and view of old houses around us.

M said it felt like we were in some city like Portland. I agreed, but I also love that we were right here in SLC. Someone once told Germaine Greer that she didn’t look 40. She responded “this is what 40 looks like”. I think sometimes my favourite SL moments are the ones where I might be inclined to say, “this doesn’t feel like SL”. But this is what SL is like.

SL is also the Avenues Street Fair. Jewelry and crafts, and art. Some fun pieces; eyepopping abstract acrylics, sandstone and metal trays, fabulous glasswork with broken pieces of glass fused and melted together. M. wanted to go home and make everything herself, and probably could. I wanted to shop. I bought a pretty, pearly, shiny choker from a jewellery maker from Hong Kong. We both had chocolate-dipped frozen bananas (M. and I, not the jewellery maker. As far as I know). The mayoral candidates were there, presumably looking for babies to kiss. People with causes wanted us to adopt greyhounds or save water or use huge solar power panels. M intimated that I could fit a solar panel on my balcony. “How often do you use your balcony, anyway?”
“I’m not putting one up there. You can’t make me.”

This is a wonderful time of year in SL.

6 comments:

Left-Handed said...

You express so well what I admire about SL!

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Sounds like fun! I am so sad I missed the Avenues street fair. And those tomatoes sounded divine. Miss you!

Unknown said...

ahh... small town Salt Lake City.. well more so small town the aves. The avenues were magical to me when I lived there. Those alphabetical streets were a city all on there own. I felt proud to live there and I miss those years and the amazing people such as yourself that I associated with. Those were beautiful days. Your description here is PERFECT. Thanks for sharing your day in words.. I felt like I was walking there beside you.

lenalou said...

I wish you all could have been there too! Ans, I miss you too - hope things are going well.

Marie said...

Well, would you look at that -- it's an autumn miracle. The resurrection of the dead blog! Hallelujah!

I like your new blog image. Looks like the cover of Leslie Feist's new record.

At the Avenues Street Fest I was handed a cup of cold water by JP Hughes when I was very thirsty. As he didn't try to further indoctrinate me in exchange for the water, I confess I briefly thought, "I'm so voting for you, fella." (I have heard he's a great guy, but is it good enough to be a great guy who distributes free water? I guess not, 'cause he lost.)

lenalou said...

I think that's a totally valid reason for voting for someone. At least as good as being influenced by one of their ads.

Thanks, re. the photo. I was inspired by our new friend Casey to play around with some of my England pics.