Sunday 23 December 2007

A merry Christmas to everybody! Make up the fires, and buy another coal scuttle. –Scrooge.

Slow Internet connection, family commitments and laziness have been holding me back from blogging. But all is merry in ole England. I have a cold, but it’s that sort of mild, stuffy, head-feels-like-it’s-in-a-sauna sort of cold that doesn’t make you feel too ill but means that you eat lots of clementines and chocolates.

On Friday evening we attended the carol service at Kingston Seymour village church. It was a really nippy night, but pretty, as we walked through the misty churchyard into the candlelit church. We sat almost on the transept, so my dad could point out various elderly and obscure relations to me as they came in. We sang lots of old favourites, and they had usual comforting old scripture readings from Isaiah and the Gospels, as well as some John Betjeman. We had mince pies and tea at the village hall afterwards, courtesy of the Young Farmers Association.

It’s been cold and grey and foggy for days, but this morning was crisp and pale-gold. I decorated the tree, which we bought from a dark, curly-haired gypsy with scars on his face. At church, kids were wearing the traditional tea towels etc on their heads for nativity scenes-- little Mary kept losing her blue headdress. On they way home, Kylie was playing her favourite Christmas songs on the radio, the snail was on the thorn, and all was pretty much right in the world.

I think I shall go and have another mince pie.

6 comments:

Left-Handed said...

it all sounds so charming... even if i don't know what snail on the thom is.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Hmmm, I don't feel sick at all and yet I find myself eating lots of clementines and chocolate too.

This all sounds so idyllic.

Had to look up snail on the thorn. Apparently I need to read more Browning.

Marie said...

We also ate lots of clementines and chocolate, but you got us beat on idyllic. Man. You can't out-idyllic the Brits! That sounds lovely.

Is Kylie your niece?

Merry Christmas to you and yours -- we'll try to save you some of our puffy Christmas snow, though it might be less puffy and more yellow by the time you get here.

lenalou said...

R - "the lark's on the wing, the snail's on the thorn, God's in His heaven, all's right with the world" - I was misquoting Browning, as Ansley found, but before you get too impressed, I learned that one in a children's book I had that used lots of Browning and Milton. That just showed me up as a rather pathetic child.
Ansley - yeah, I fear the cold may be merely an excuse.
Marie - no, Kylie Minogue, the pop megastar (but I see where the confusion arose) - yes, I'm looking forward too seeing some snow - that's one thing we DIDN'T get over here for Christmas!

Unknown said...

As long as the meat pies weren't made in London by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter! Yikes!

I love travel and I love blogs, so your travel blog was a delightful addition to my reading today!

I thank you kindly. Cheers!

lenalou said...

D'Arcy, welcome! Yes, I'll stay away from any bakeries neighbouring barbers, I think!

Cheers.