Sunday 20 January 2008

Two Countries Divided By Their Currencies

I try to avoid changing pounds to dollars as much as possible; usually it isn’t necessary, and it always seems to involve a bit of a palaver. And yet, after Christmas, a trip to the bank was needed. I handed over my 20-pound notes, and the young teller looked at them curiously. She got out her picture book of money, and found the page with pounds on them – except it was slightly out of date, so it didn’t have the Adam Smith version. She called over another teller to help, and he also looked through the book. She wasn’t sure how to find the exchange rate.

He said, “these are pounds, right?”

“Right. Pounds sterling. British.”

“So, that’s basically Euros, then.”

“Er, no.”

While they were calculating, he picked up one of the notes. “This is really cool money. Who’s Adam Smith?” I gave the brief bio.

”So, when you were growing up, did you think American money was really cool?”

“Well…it’s all green…”

Another teller joined us to look at the cool money. They exclaimed over the colours and textures, she asked who Adam Smith was, they asked what happens when you wash one of these in your jeans, and eventually, I got my dollars. I felt like my cool money and I had hosted a little tea party together. Next time maybe I’ll bring some HobNobs.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Nice... too bad the exchange rate is the worst it has been (for pounds to dollars) in the last 6 months or so. Then they insult you by taking their conversion fees off the top.

I have to say I'm not excited to have to return to using U.S. currency. I actually enjoy the British system of having different notes different sizes and colors, with smaller notes being of a lesser value. Amazingly logical for a country that used to have their crazy pre-decimal system.

Melanie said...

In behalf of all Americans, I'm sorry. You are just such a novelty, (you AND your money) don't you know that? :)

Marie said...

This wasn't Zions, was it? Because this is essentially what happened when I tried to get an international money order there a few months ago. Freaks.

I think we should have some coinage with holes through the middle, like the Egyptians. Very handy.

You should come up with SOMETHING you've always admired about America to pull out when people ask you such questions. We crave your approval :)

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Bank people not knowing who Adam Smith is... That's like restaurant people not knowing Julia Child. And if you bring HobNobs, invite me!

lenalou said...

Tim, I agree about the different sizes - I don't know how Americans who are blind manage. And re. the pre-decimal era, my parents always say that it was SO simple and easy to use (if you like doing long multiplication every time you want to buy a sandwich, I'm assuming) and that they miss guineas.

Mel, hey, I'd probably miss the attention if I didn't get it:-)

Marie, no, Wells Fargo actuallly. And I DO admire American things - like their breakfasts. And drinking fountains everywhere - I'll be sure to mention it more often.

He he, Ansley--so true. I'll let you know about the hobnobs!