Wednesday 10 September 2008

On Being a Chick

Apparently I'm having identity issues lately, what with the age and gender posts. Expect one on what it's like to be white any day now.

So, I do like being a woman. Love the clothes, makeup, talking about emotions, blah blah. I haven’t had to deal with glass ceilings or discrimination or serious sexual harassment. I open my own jars, change tires, and I replaced my toilet once! With a broken ankle! (OK, Adri helped).

But in a few ways, men have it better. [disclaimer: the following are gross generalizations based on one woman's experience. Said woman's experience may not be typical of your results. This blog disclaims all responsibility from insult to readers who are superior to the author (and many men) in the areas described. ]. *

Men can go jogging at night without fear.
Men know which end up the batteries go without looking at the little plus and minus signs.
Men can put the tent up right first time.
Men don't get scared when they attach jumper cables because they think the car may blow up, even when they're certain they put them on the right terminals.
Men can move heavier things without help.
AND, men know things about cars and don't feel that they are constantly being ripped off by their mechanic.

I try to fake it. I usually talk to my brother before going to the mechanic, and have him tell me any lingo I need to know, and what questions to expect. However, I've been caught out at least once. I once delivered my carefully prepared spiel and then looked blank when the mechanic asked me how many cylinders I have (um, an even number…shall I risk a guess... 4? 8? Good grief, I’ve looked under the bonnet enough times. Why don’t I know?). I don't think for one minute that he needed to know. He was just testing me.

This is bothering me today, because I have a CAR ISSUE. About a month ago I had a little blowout, and what with bent rims and old tires, got a whole new set of both. After spending an amount of money that could have bought three of the yellow patent leather handbags I've been coveting lately, and probably shoes to match, I drove off with my new rims, which I still suspect may look a bit too pimped for my ride.

Then driving to choir practice a few nights ago, with a full car, some scary sounds started emanating from the rear right. It wasn't a wheel bearing. And that is where my female brain reaches its limit of diagnostic ability.

I took it to a mechanic, and they told me that the wheel and tire were the wrong size and were rubbing against the wheel well. Clearly the tyre company should have known this, right? Jerks.

I took it to the tyre company, and they took a look. The guy said things about damage to the side, and struts, and other car words. He said there was no problem with the wheel and the other mechanic didn't know what he was talking about. Then he mumbled something about looking into a different kind of tire and calling me back.

Now, if I were a man, I think I’d have a better chance of knowing whether or not he was being straight with me. Or, at least, I'd have a better chance of him THINKING I knew if he was being straight with me. As it was, I wanted to be assertive, but I wasn’t sure who to be assertive with.

So I called my brother. Guy brain. I started from the beginning, telling him there was a weird noise coming from the back. "That'll be the new tyre rubbing," he said immediately. OK, fine. He explained the tire issue to me in little words, he told me what to tell the tire guy, and that if he gives me any trouble, that he will come up to Salt Lake and "talk to him." (that sounds a bit like my brother is a mobster, but he's really not).

So, I guess the tire issue will get fixed, and it isn’t a big deal, and no-one will die. But I still hate dealing with mechanics.

* i.e. if you are a woman and way better than me and all men in dealing with cars and tents and jogging, and think I’m a sexist pig, don’t tell me. It’ll just make me feel bad about myself. And you know how emotional we women can get.

7 comments:

Marie said...

I know what you're saying. The men in my immediate family are far from "car guys," but just taking one of them along with me to the shop ensures me lower mechanic bills. They don't have to say a thing. I think it's just that smell of competing testosterone they give off -- knocks the mechanic off guard. No, I have no measurable proof of this phenomenon, but it's there all the same :)

I did have a female mechanic once recently, and she was very good about explaining things in a more "feminine" way (don't ask me what I mean by that!), but I did wonder afterward if she might not be working the girl angle to bring down the defenses of all the girl customers with whom her male colleagues had failed?

I really like Tunex in Sandy, though it's a bit far away from me for routine work. Half the time when Mom drives in there with an apparent apocalypse unfolding under the hood, they "tighten a loose bolt" and send her away without a bill. At this point I think she'd trust them to babysit her grandchild.

Again, maybe that's their evil plan -- play honest half the time and bleed her dry the other half, but I choose to believe they're just honest guys. And they're always booked days in advance, so that's a good sign.

I hear you on the jumper cable thing. I'm a car jumpin' veteran, but I still have a panic attack when I go to turn the key.

Artax said...

Auto mechanics are sexist. The way I deal with sexist people is I become better at what they do than they are. Like math, physics, computer science classes in college. Find that smart alek guy, sit next to him when the exams are returned. Let him see first hand that all his assumptions are wrong. Oh, and did you need some help with that math/physics/cs by the way? Because you obviously aren't as bright as you think you are.

Now, the problem with auto mechanics is that I haven't yet had the time to actually learn what is going on inside the car. It's not that I think women can't learn that. It's just that I haven't wanted to make the time. I have done things like learned to change a flat tire and check my oil. But these are not actually things that I do, so I would have to re-learn them.

Anyway, maybe we should sign up for an auto-mechanic class. Can you take one on line?

Brittany said...

I am with you on this one. There is a big reason why I don't EVER go to Jiffy Lube any more......tell ya later.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Dealing with car stuff is so frustrating, trying to live without a car is hard enough but then you also have to deal with the mechanics. I own jumper cables and am still nervous whenever I use them. Having moved so much, I like to go to the car talk website and look at their mechanics files for recommended shops.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

Melanie said...

Just the other night I was walking to the parking lot by myself after work (about midnight) with the keys positioned in my fingers just right to poke the eye out of any offending perp (I'm sure you know what I mean) and I thought to myself the same ... I bet guys don't get all freaked walking by themselves late at night! Loved this post. Jairo also read it with me and laughed several times and upon finishing stated "where does she come up with all of this crap." He meant it in a very endearing way ... you're one of the few blogs he likes to read.

lenalou said...

Crap? Crap? This is my life! :-)

I totally know what you mean about the keys.

日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.