Tuesday 10 April 2007

News in Brief: Vienna in a Minute

News in Chocolate

Even the muesli has chocolate in it. Little bits of chocolate sheets like the ones my Swiss flatmate taught me to put bvetween slices of breat. Serving Suggestion: eat it with hot milk. Breakfasts are lovely, by the way. Besides muesli, there are crusty rolls with butter and cherry jam or liver pate.

News in Linguistics

Do you ever find yourself speaking in broken English after youàve been aroudn nonn-native speakers for a few days? I do yes little bit.

News in Palaces.

There are a LOT. And they are HUGE! Not just the buildings, they have these MASSIVE courtyards. You'd think the emperors were trying to make a statement or something. I suppose British palaces are big too, but they tend to focus on the gardens more and the big gravel expanses less. Interestingly, the emperor's personal roooms tend to be the most simple of the state rooms, unlike the empresses'. It gives you the impression of them being spoilt trophy wives, like Heather Mills or Malena Trump.

News in Trains

Working on a laptop on a train from Vienna to Salzburg was the most pleasant 'office' time of my life.

News in Architecture

The roofs are slightly bigger here. Itàs one of those 10% differences that let you know you're in another country. And some of their churches have red ones (roofs). It makes them look ever-so-slightly Lego-ish. In a good way.

News in bovines.

They have pink spotted cows here. No, I'm just messing with you. But you'd have believed KaRyn if she'd said that about Korea.

2 comments:

Ninny Beth said...

oh lena. Nobody believes ANYTHING I say about korea! And YES YES YES I talk broken english. I called Alie in portland this morning and she was the first to point out that I am talking strangely in enunciated, simple sentences much like a returned missionary or a 5 year old. I chose to take it as a compliment. It's called immersion.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

I can't believe your levels of self-discipline. Good job on getting some work done. I think I would have pitched my laptop into the bottom of my bag and never puled it out again. See this is why you get to do this and still have a job.

And really, Europe is all about the chocolate so it's only fitting it figures prominently in several posts.