Thursday 26 April 2007

A Night At The Theatre

We went to the Theatre Royal in Bath Tuesday night, to see Hello Dolly, as a belated birthday treat for me. It’s a beautiful little theatre, and the production was pretty good. Afterwards we ate fish and chips with our fingers in the car (mmm, grease, vinegar, and salt), and had a late drive home.

It’s all country lanes from Bath to our house, and my dad drives pretty fast. I like being driven at night by him –seeing trees looking dark and ghostly, and place and street signs illuminated as we swing round corners – Stanton Drew, Chew Magna, Chelvey Batch, Mud on Road (oh wait), Brockley Combe. Brockley Combe is haunted by a highwayman, but he wasn’t riding tonight. We rolled down our windows so we could smell the wild garlic that’s growing everywhere. It was a mild, damp, and slightly misty night, and all the smells were heightened – lilac and woodsmoke and green things.

5 comments:

Marie said...

How close do you live to Bath? I only spent a couple days in Somerset/Wiltshire 13 years ago, but they were some of the best of my time in England and I remember them vividly. We picnicked at the Avesbury Circle and walked through Castle Combe (I wasn't well traveled enough to know if it really WAS "the prettiest town in England," but it was very pretty). We stayed at a parsonage that had been made into a B&B (traditional grease-soaked English breakfast and charming motherly hostess more than compensated for spider infestation in the communal shower). And I fell in love with Bath, though we just spent a day there and only saw the touristy things. I remember the beautiful Bath Abbey and Pultney Bridge and the story of the feisty lady who lived on one of the circuses and successfully defied the rigid building codes with her bright yellow door. I also remember ABBA music being played on the grand piano in the fancy bath house tea room.

I used to think quickie travel was better than no travel, but I'm beginning to think maybe it's just a cruel tease. One glorious day I will spend a lazy month in a single city and wring it out as you did with Rome. That's real travel. But for now -- drive-by memories.

Pity me, trapped in Utah, and forgive the long, self-indulgent comment :)

lenalou said...

I think quickie travel is better than nothing, but should ideally just be the prelude.

I enjoyed hearing about your memories - I love the yellow door story too! I live about 25 miles away from Bath, so not super close. A little closer to Bristol.

Unknown said...

Hey, NPR reported an earthquake rocked southern England this morning...did it affect you guys?

lenalou said...

No, I think it was over in the Kent area - more southeast. I was at my brother's in Southampton and didn't feel a thing. Crazy, though - earthquakes aren't exactly common round here.

Janean said...

In Bath's happy city where the girls are so pretty
how free was my will as I freewheeled along;
Even a sparrow can choose broad or narrow
and a man can chose daily between right and wrong.
-Joan Aiken
daughter of Conrad