Saturday 14 February 2009

Lena’s Mum Has Ideas

My mum called me this morning.

Mum: Lena, what do you think about going blonde?

Me: What? Why? [suspiciously] Is this a “have more fun” thing?

Mum: I just thought it might be a nice change. You could get highlights.

Me: But I like my hair colour.

Mum: Yes, of course, it’s lovely, and with your skin... [stream of motherly compliments]...But it might be a nice cheerful change.

Me: I suppose it might be fun to switch things up. But don’t you think I’d end up looking a bit washed out with my pale skin?

Mum [very positively]: Not with YOUR clothes.

Me: What’s that supposed to mean?!

Mum: Nothing! You always look lovely! I just meant that you wouldn’t have to change your clothes!

Me: I’ll think about it. Maybe in the summer.

Mum: I also thought, how about getting a bird feeder?

Me: A bird feeder.

Mum: Yes, you could hang it on your balcony. I have one, and it’s so delightful watching all the birds come and play. It’s like spring.

Me: Yes, I expect it would cheer me right up.

Mum [giggling]: I could buy you a bird book!

Me: I could buy an anorak!

6 comments:

Julia said...

Hah! I love it. As long as these types of calls don't happen every day, they sound like fun!!!

Hey, It's Ansley said...

The more I hear of your family the more I like them!

plainoldsarah said...

i don't know about an anorak, but i think i could see some blonde on you. but really, your natural color (well the color it is) really works for you - i say why mess with a good thing?

lenalou said...

Ahem--blonde would actually be closer to my genuine colour, but I feel like red is my, er. spiritually natural colour!

And Julia--yes, fun, and also infrequent!

Marie said...

You're like those supermodels who look great in pleated gunny sacks -- you could go for green hair with platinum roots and I'd find myself asking for it at the salon soon thereafter.

But I do love the red, and would miss it.

I had to Google "anorak." Ha!

Ninny Beth said...

lena...I think this phone conversation belongs on this website that my college acquaintance started...www.postcardsfromyomomma.com

Get her to write these things down next time! funny.