Tuesday 24 February 2009

God Bless America, and England, and Canada, and even France

I don’t have anything I particularly want to share about my life right now, so let’s take a look waaaaaay back at 2008 (cue swimmy harp music and wavy images).

Some time around August, you may have noticed a change in Lena. Maybe her carbon footprint increased a little, maybe she hankered after fast food a little more, maybe she put on a few...eh, whatever--making American jokes is no fun when it’s mostly Americans reading them.

But yes, amid the more important events in my life such as finding clips of Colin Firth on youtube and blogging about going to the dentist, I somehow omitted to tell certain people (i.e. most of you) that I became a US citizen. Now, don't panic. I'm still a British one too. I still like Marmite and hot water bottles and don't like ice in my drinks. I still scoff when Americans say things like "different than," "aluminum," and "World Series." I still mock the guy/woman who has to give the little explanation of the upcoming programme on "Masterpiece Theatre" (guys, just because they're wearing period clothes doesn't mean it's hard to understand).

But, I:

Can't get deported (again).
Don't have to pay an exorbitant fee to the INS every few years for the privilege of a new green card.
Can work for the federal government (Lena for secretary of state?).
Can vote.

This is very nice. But I must confess I'm not overly emotional about it, and that is perhaps why I haven't mentioned it to y'all before now.

I took the citizenship test (Francis Scott Key! Betsy Ross! 10 out of 10!), I went to the citizenship ceremony (the largest in Utah history), I took the oath and all, but I was very much aware that there were people there for whom this meant a lot more than it did for me. It was wonderful to see. It really felt like the poor, the oppressed etc, had come to find a new home here in the states, and becoming a citizen was the crowning moment of that for them. But I've never had to struggle for my freedom, I come from a nation that has a lot to be proud of and a fascinating history, and getting citizenship wasn't something that affected my personal identity.

So, America is lovely. Gracious skies and amber waves an' all. It stands for great things, and I really respect that. I just can't promise to get chills when I see the flag wave, or hear the national anthem. I hope you do.

11 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

I sometimes get all weepy when I hear the Star Spangled Banner. When they played the American themed music in the ballet on Friday, I could totally understand why he wanted to ditch the Japanese girl for the American. America! Woo!

plainoldsarah said...

next time you need something to blog tell the deportation story. =) oh, and thanks for this story - it was great! did you get citizenship the same time catherine did? seems like she did it around july. i think i only got to hear the good news since i vt her.

Marie said...

No, God does not love France, nor does he bless it. Even if it's Lena doing the asking.

I don't get too weepily patriotic unless I'm thinking of the US in terms of what church doctrine teaches about it. And of course that comes with a lot of divine warnings that tend to kill the chills pretty quick. Currently America the Idea is much more appealing than America the Actual.

I'm glad you're a citizen now, because now you're *technically* subject to American jokes yourself. One day you'll give up the yoga, get a pot belly and Tevas and roam the world in your Hawaiian shirt speaking very loud, slow English to foreigners. And then it will be clear that the Brit (Bowie) is wise: God IS an American :)

Kidding.

Heidi said...

Wow, I never thought it would happen. And the fact that you waited this long to tell us says something about how begrudging the decision must have been. And for the record, I'm also bugged by "different than." Especially when supposedly super-intelligent characters in TV shows use it. It's a cruel reminder that it's the writers who are not super-intelligent.

Heidi said...

Oh, and I have to differ with Marie--God DOES love France. Any country that can produce food that good is definitely heaven-blessed. And I think he might even kinda like the French. :)

Julia said...

I'm totally with you. I don't care how long I am American (when I actually get citizenship), I will always be Canadian even if I don't have a cool accent like you do to prove it.

Sometimes I get a little emotional about America, but I will never ever wear star-spangled shorts or other misc. items of clothing. EVER!

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Welcome to our club. I loved hearing about the other people at the citizenship ceremony. I do get chills when I hear patriotic songs. But I also love that you laugh at us, it keeps our collective egos from exploding.

Marie - God does love and bless France, he sent me to them on my mission :) Maybe my personal ego needs a little deflating?

Melanie said...

Ahhh, everytime I hear World Series I remember back to our almost fist fight about that!! I still love teasing you about this and other American phrases. Will it still have the same effect???

lenalou said...

I love that the France thing has caused mild controversy. Sarah, Catherine beat me by a month--we thought it would be nice if we did it at the same time, but twas not to be.

Mel--no, I am way more mature and zen-like now. Plus I am just more secure in knowing that I am right :-)

Jeff said...

If giving you goosebumps upon hearing the national anthem means I have to run a feather or icecube down your arm, don't think I won't do it.

No, really I think it's great news. I hope to hear you use the term "a whole nuther" soon (ex. I just ate a whole nuther cookie).

I've probably mentioned this, but I remember my very first impression of you. It was a firepit party at Celeste/Angie's, and [Scottish] Mark was there. Someone remarked at how interesting it was that we had people from both countries, and something about sharing a similar heritage. You added, "Yes, we even fought in some of the same wars, in fact."

I knew I liked you. Congrats on the citizenship.

P.S. Can I still remind you incessantly that your people have been kicked off of every continent on the planet? *GRIN*

triciab said...

As your resident fellow Brit, please remember I will ALWAYS share Mini Eggs, Twirls and Chocolate Digestives with you.. regardless of whether you adopt the "twang" or not ;)