Wednesday 18 March 2009

Another Excuse Not to Write a Real Post

I went to a work lunch today that showcased winners from some Cannes advertising competition. I had to leave early, so I'm sure there were gems I missed, but my favourites are below. See, advertising can be art. Or just really funny.



Beautiful--really pretty simple technology but used skilfully, and totally fascinating.



I think this ad is phenomenal. They've used Richard Burton and the poem in a way that doesn't feel exploitative, it feels like that's exactly what Dylan Thomas had in mind as he wrote it. It's beautifully and creatively shot, and for me, it captures that very alive feeling you get sometimes when you're driving at night, and you're alone, but not lonely. And of course, overtly reminds you that driving itself can be a pleasure rather than just A to B. I kind of miss that feeling.




This one had me giggling for some time after. I think because it took me several seconds to realise what was going on. I adore the sheepish co-worker.

Schweppes, VW, and whichever candy company, you are WELCOME for the free advertising here.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I had to watch the skittles add twice to get it ... I'm slow. But did get a good laugh. Loved all of them! Great choices.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

It amazes me that companies make 90 second commercials. I never see them on TV. It's like they have too many good ideas and we just get 30 second glimpses of the stories. It must be fun to be in advertising.