Sunday 29 March 2009

Blasts from the Past

Late on Friday afternoon, my co-worker Kelli sent Kate and I a YouTube vid of the kids’ song she and her baby sing and dance to every morning, saying how it always makes her happy. In return, I sent her this:



--and got back this, which I also fondly remembered:


Kate, who’s a few years younger, joined in with this, which we felt explains a lot about her generation (violence! loudness! power!), and then Doug heard what we were doing and jumped on board with this (I adore the Spotty Man!):



We ended the day watching more random childhood videos in Kelli’s office (they nearly collapsed when I showed them Bagpuss--I never realised before how Depression-era the opening looks) and dancing along to the one that started it all...this:



Any childhood faves you’d like to share?

3 comments:

Tim said...

Two very important shows:

Muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5uiJ7lQrw

Battle of the Planets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoO5H_UKCrw

Julia said...

Some uniquely Canadian childhood shows only on CBC...
Mr. Dress-up
(it's not really animated..just the opening is).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LGYTzBavM

and

Fred Penner
(I always thought the intro was by far the most boring part, but here it is anyways).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjgNARNeqk

Oh nostalgia!

Marie said...

Um....the Wombles seems to be very Depression-era, too:

"Making good use of the things that we find/ Things that the everyday folks leave behind..."

Maybe that's the essential difference between US and British pre-K shows? Americans want to jumpstart their kids' educations so they can grow up and make a lot of money, while the Brits preach contentedness?

Does my theory hold any water? Need more data!

I love pretty much all pre-Elmo Sesame Street and occasionally ponder visiting a sperm bank for the sole purpose of obtaining an official excuse for quitting my job and staying home and watching Sesame Street all day. Some favorites are Fat Sat Cat, any Roosevelt Franklin, Mommy Twiddlebug's fantastically tremulous voice, Would You Like to Buy an O? (or any other Joe Raposo song), and on and on.

I also loved the Mr Rogers "opera" shows when all the characters in the Neighborhood of Makebelieve sang everything instead of saying it. It inspired long post-show recitatives.