Monday 20 April 2009

Dinner Convo.

It was a couple of years ago that Gwyneth made some comments about Britons being more civilized than you Yanks, and how we are very refined and talk about much more erudite things at dinner parties than say, work and money. It’s true, I was reminded of that this weekend.

Me: Have you watched DWTS lately? [Aside to teenage niece] There’s a really hot French guy on there.
Sis-in-Law: No, but isn’t the Bachelor chick on there?
Georgie Girl: The one who got...
Me: Dumped! Yes! She’s really good
Mum: What happened?
Me: OK, I’ve never watched this program, but the Bachelor supposedly fell in love with generic leggy brunette and asked her to marry him. Then weeks later he dumps her on TV for another generic leggy brunette..
S-in-L: No, she was a blonde!
Me: Even better. Holly, or something.
G: Molly.
SiL: Isn’t she dating the host of DWTS?
G: Ew, he’s...
Me: Too old. Tom Bergeron? No, don’t think so.
Mum: Holly?
G: Molly.
Me: No, the dumped chick.
SiL: Oh, I think it’s her partner she’s dating.
Me: Tony? No, he’s married.
SiL: Well, she’s dating someone.
Me: And now everyone is all “THAT shows HIM” about the Bachelor, because she’s a good dancer.
Mike: I bet he’s kicking himself. If only he’d realised she could dance.
Me: Exactly.
SiL: We’re going to sign you up for the Bachelorette.
Me: Thanks a LOT.
Mike: What? You could pick from all those great guys.
Me: Yes, I’m sure I’d meet such quality people on a reality show.
SiL: Don’t you want a trip to NZ?

G: And the special OVERNIGHT STAY?
Me: Well, when you put it like that. I do want to go to NZ.
Littlest Niece: But if someone’s going to be my uncle, I want to see what he’s like first.
Me: Sweetie, if that happens, I promise you will meet him first and have a say in it.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Ha! I'm proud to say I had to stare at that first line for a good 30 seconds before I knew what show you were talking about.

My lowbrow has not shrunk in spite of all my efforts -- it's just grown dusty/rusty because I'm too lazy to update it. I'm still back on Weird Al and the hamster dance (and all variants thereof).

Marie said...

Actually, I guess you want to *raise* a lowbrow, not *shrink* a lowbrow, eh? Oops. The highbrows got theirs via expensive laser treatment and the lowbrows are betrayed by their telltale stubble?

If I were British I wouldn't have to ask these questions. Or who's dating who. Whom.