Monday 20 April 2009

Finished!

I’m not sure if that title describes our accomplishment or my emotional state.

For the last few weekends, my Sistrines and I have been recording for our upcoming CD, and we are DONE. Expect me to be dropping lots of unsubtle references to that on here and FB as soon as it’s floggable.

Recording involved being in a smallish room in close contact with twelve other women with no air-conditioning all Friday evening and all Saturday for three weekends straight, singing phrases like “ooh....oh” over and over and over and over and over again and being told that my vowels were wrong. How fun does that sound? And we’ve actually come off pretty easily--Rowan and the band are still recording away.

But it was fun, sorta. At least, rewarding. Our performance standard is going to be raised a notch as a result of the intense repetition. And we managed to avoid catfights and hair-pulling pretty consistently. Sure, my fellow-commuters and I considered having a “no speaking” rule in the car to ward off being sick of each other, and we had sore backs from standing all day long (thank you, yoga stretches), and there were a few times when I wanted to snap my headphones in half and make for the door, and I’m not experiencing any wistfulness for being a real musician, BUT having a group working hard together to get something right is a good feeling. And hearing even the rough version made the perfectionism worthwhile for me. In fact, when we hear the final version, we’ll probably think we weren’t perfectionist ENOUGH. Well, maybe. I’m not suggesting we go back and re-record or anything.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Congrats! I recorded with my small choir in high school and it did end with my ripping of my headphones and stalking out of the room and this only after some yelling and crying.

Let me know when the CD is out please! Unlike that time when you became an American citizen...

lenalou said...

Julia, that is too funny (and a little sad)! I wish I could hear your recording. And yes, I'll let you know about the CD--I'm less conflicted about it :-)

Marie said...

I look forward to hearing it, you and all your Sistrines. (I bet you came up with that one. Excellent.)

lenalou said...

Marie, I wish I could take credit for "Sistrines," but we have some very clever thinkers in our group, and Val came up with that one.