Friday 24 April 2009

LOL

A few years ago, I was due to give a talk in church. I told my roommate Margaret that I was going to have a secret theme, and see if anyone noticed it. The theme was to be the Sound of Music, and I was going to incorporate as many references as possible, for example, starting sentences with phrases like “I have confidence...” and “A wise woman [the abbess] once said “these walls were not meant to shut out problems. You have to face them. You have to live the life you were born to live.””

Margaret’s response was, “you do know that not everything in life has to be a joke, right?”

OK, so I didn’t go with the theme, but I think I did mention the Sound of Music once, just to Show Her.

Now, last week, my brother’s family talked in church--I wasn’t able to go, so they all gave me a synopsis of their talks, youngest to oldest, and before my brother said anything, my sister-in-law said, “and of course, Mike got up and thought he was a comedian.” He gave me a copy of his talk to read, and it is actually excellent (be obedient! It’s better in the end), but it’s true, there are a lot of laughs there. I told him what Margaret had told me all those years ago, and he had the same reaction as me.

“Huh.”
and then.
“Really?”
and then
“Hahahahaha.”

And then we proceeded to make jokes about it. How bad is it that that phrase itself has become a bit of a giggle to us? Do we D’s use humour as a crutch? Is that a problem?

So today, I was talking to my brother and happened to cry a bit, and apologised for being all emotional in the middle of his Friday and he said “It’s fine, I’m used to it,” and then sniggered and said “I HAVE to remember that not everything in life is a joke,” and then we both laughed and commented on how it probably wasn’t good that we’ve actually had to ponder that concept as rather a novel one.

So my two thoughts on this topic are:
That’s the second time that someone has said “I’m used to it” in regards to me crying this week (I’m really totally fine, just being a bit of a girl), so maybe I need to get a grip on the waterworks. And,
This whole “life isn’t a joke,” thing? I’m not so sure.

I don’t for one second claim to be a comedian, and, like Elizabeth in P&P, I hope I never laugh at what is wise or good, but whims or inconsistencies do divert me, and I laugh at them whenever I can. And there are a whole lot of whims and inconsistencies in all of us, right? So, I get Darcy’s and Margaret’s point, and I don’t want to be the girl whose first object in life is a joke, and secret themes in sacrament talks really isn’t my style, but I do think there are very few occasions that CAN’T be laughed about in some way and aren’t a little better for it.

Amen?

p.s. I should probably just mention here that Margaret is hilarious, tons funnier than I will ever be. She is also wise.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Personally, I loved the idea of a talk with a theme - and I think you are both funny and spiritual enough to pull it off.

Sorry it has been a hard week. Waterworks are not a bad thing. Come to my home, you will see.

Artax said...

In my opinion, sacrament meeting talks need at least two good moments of humor. The first moment serves to wake me up, and make me realize that I might be missing something. Then I can wake up Tim and ask him if he caught that, and what was so funny? The second moment should come soon after, while we are both still awake, so that we can hear and understand and laugh, too, and go home with that warm Sunday glow.

And to answer the question you actually asked, I would rather laugh than not.

Marie said...

Oh my word, I love that. You're a genius. If you ever do it, please use a muscial I'm more familiar with, though. Music Man? My Fair Lady? Thank you in advance.

Did I ever tell you how I dared Sharon (who was the organist in the 7th ward) to play the sunshine hymns during the postlude -- Scatter Sunshine, There Is Sunshine in My Soul, etc -- but play them in a minor key? She did it. While Pres. Terry was sitting on the stand, even. It was highly awesome. I love that kid.

I sometimes cringe when I read Jane Austen's assessment of Mr. Bennet, being too flippant about everything, just for his own amusement. I know I get close to that line too frequently, but I think the greater sin (if we have to choose) is taking everything seriously. I'd like to be closer to Lizzy's attitude of amusement -- and of course every Lizzy gets her Darcy. I'm sure if she were here she'd tell me that she didn't win him with snark.

lenalou said...

Pres Terry probably loved it--he's one who could and would appreciate that. Too funny!