Friday 25 April 2008

A Life of Leisure

I was talking with some friends at work about how you see people out and about town during the day and wonder who they are and what they’re doing. Don’t they have jobs?

For two days, I am of those people. I don’t start my new job until Monday, and went to the spa yesterday, where I had the pleasure of writing “none,” under “Occupation” on their form. This morning I went for a wee run in the park, and observed my fellow layabouts.

Here’s who was in the park, according to my deductions.

A Soviet spy, who was posted here in 1980 and told to await orders.
Two old college friends having a girls’ weekend.
A trust fund baby, wondering what he’s supposed to do with his life.
A young mother, who is SO glad to get out of the house on a beautiful day.
An amnesiac Turkish pianist who comes to gaze at his reflection and try to remember…
A blind man, who feeds the ducks to hear them quacking.
A retired accountant, who walks the park doing sums in his head.
Two nurses between shifts
An ex-trapeze artist.
A woman between jobs who remembers when she could run round the park quite a few times without feeling like either a lung or eardrum was about to burst.
An elderly couple who are more in love with each other than on the day they were married.

And if you're stuck in your office, here's what it looks like outside.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Ha! How did you figure out the ex-trapeze artist? Bad knees? Falling dramatically out of a tree?

I hope at least SOMETHING unpleasant happened to you while I languished at my desk all day.