Sunday 27 April 2008

Why I’m still single*

Reason #34: I make men uncomfortable at parties.

Man from Texas: Now, are you from Russia or Bulgaria?
Me, thinking he was kidding: Actually, I’m Romanian.
Texan: Oh, see I spent some time in Russia, so all you Eastern Europeans sound alike.
Me: [yikes, he’s serious] Sorry, I’m really from England. But I know foreign accents can sound similar.
Girlfriend: People even accuse her of being from Australia sometimes.
Texan: Well, Australia’s not so bad, is it?
Me: Not at all, but I think it’s like somebody thinking you’re gay, when you’re straight – it’s not that being gay is so awful, it’s just that you don’t want people thinking you’re something you’re not.
Texan, looking very flustered: Well, that’s quite the analogy…I mean, well….
Me: I’m sorry, have I embarrassed you?
Texan: I’m not gay.
Me: I didn’t think for one moment that you were.
Texan exits swiftly.

*(I’m thinking of making a handy laminated list of reasons for people who ask. Maybe a fridge magnet)

9 comments:

Betty Grace said...

Oh my gosh Lena- this made me laugh out loud!

Hey, It's Ansley said...

I'm laughing because my other choice was crying.

Marie said...

I think the situation was worsened by the fact that he was Texan. For all their swagger, I think they are especially intimidated by the High Culture of the Mother Land(s) and the ways in which it might embarrass them at parties. I'm convinced that Pres. Bush's entire foreign policy is an especially dramatic manifestation of this. You'd better hope that guy from the party never becomes the leader of the Free World, or we might have you to thank for WWIII ;)

Marie said...

I love your new photo, btw.

Tim said...

Have to say this was the best story I have read for a while.

Heidi said...

Holy cow, that's funny. Your accent gets you into the most interesting binds. But really, would you want to be with someone who mistakes you for Bulgarian? Not that there's anything wrong with being Bulgarian...

Brittany said...

That was hilarious!!

Peregos said...

I was asked once if I was Chinese... Ciao, Ugo

Melanie said...

It's been awhile since I visited your site ... I must say this post was well worth the visit. I totally cracked up!