Friday 11 May 2007

The Costume Museum

Imagine you are a struggling opera singer. You finally get a key role in an important production in Florence, with large audiences expected, and great production values. You can’t wait to tell your mum, and she’s thrilled – so proud of you, it’s what you deserved, finally someone appreciating you for what you are…and those Florence productions are always so beautiful – the scenery, the costumes, oh the COSTUMES – all silk and hand embroidery, she can’t WAIT to see what you’ll wear – what will your costume be like???

“Well, mum, I’m the spirit of the harvest, so it’s all very pastoral…not ball gowns or anything.”

“Oh, that’s all right, I saw the spring costume last year and it was divine – beautiful little flowers everywhere, the very essence of new life and beginnings. I suppose yours will have chrysanthemums and golden leaves or something…?”

“Well, not exactly, I think they’re really focussing on the rural, farming aspect.”

“Darling?”

“I’m going to be wearing a pig on my head. With a sausage necklace.”










As you can see, they have some terrific creations, which made me wish, not for the first time, that we lived in a less practical era in terms of clothing, and that I could wear an embroidered kimono or lace ballgown once in a while.

2 comments:

Janean said...

Wow, that really is a pig on the head.

lenalou said...

Yep. Doesn't look comfortable, does it?