Sunday 27 May 2007

Lilies



I once read that to have a pleasant expression on your face when having your photo taken, you should say “lilies,” as the shutter opens. That may work for people who are photogenic anyway, but I do not follow this advice as I’m pretty sure I would just look gormless. However, lilies were responsible for my very happy expression on Saturday.

I got up early to buy food. Stopped at the bakery first to pick up a pastry or two, and ate them in the p. S. Spirito, as the shops pulled up their shutters, and the market vendors set up their stalls. I love shopping at all the little pasticcerias, panettarias, macellarias, and latterias, and enjoying the morning sunlight and serenity before all the tourists start flooding the streets. I bought calla lilies at the market, thinking that they were 3 euro per stem – and then the lady at the market handed me the entire bunch – 8 lilies! Beautiful calla lilies, which are now on my coffee table. Now I really do feel like I’m in a movie.

3 comments:

Left-Handed said...

I love a good travel blog. Your stories and pictures are all so dreamy and make me want to travel too. How lucky!

lenalou said...

Thank you! I highly recommend the travel!

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Why is it that buying yourself flowers seems like such a luxury but really should be an everyday occurence. They really do brighten up a room and make me smile. Glad you splurged.