Wednesday 30 May 2007

Stormy Weather

It was chucking it down when I walked home this evening, and it was still fun and beautiful. The bridges, river, and sky were all silver and pewter, with a streak of white-gold sun, and the contrast from the usual colour of this city was startling. People were huddled inside the cafes, and the shining streets were almost empty. Going home and getting out of the rain when you don’t have to leave the house again for the evening is one of the great pleasures in life.

The only downside was that my sandal broke just before I passed Gucci headquarters, so in my drowned rat, broken shoe’d state, the contrast was even more striking than usual between me and the terribly chic women who constantly stand outside with one hip thrust out, holding their cigarettes as ladies used to hold their fans.

No comments: