Monday 21 May 2007

Roses and Vespers


San Miniato del Monte is a monastery, and one of only a couple of places left in the world where you can hear Gregorian chant. You can hear it every afternoon at Vespers, if you climb the hill, past the Piazza Michelangelo, past the cafes, and go downstairs in the church. The coolness and peace inside are a welcome change from the May afternoon heat and tourists (yes I know I'm one).

On the way down, there is the Giardini de rose – open only two months of the year, filled with roses and lemon trees, rosemary, and lilies. It smells just as you may imagine, especially in the warm evening, when colours and scents are at their height.
People were reading, sunbathing, studying, dozing. I took a magazine there on Sunday and joined them for a while.

6 comments:

Marie said...

I refuse to believe such a place exists.

lenalou said...

It doesn't even seem real to me! I'll be spending years in purgatory to make up for this (see, the Catholicism is rubbing off).

Janean said...

I think we need a photo of this place. That would prove it exists.

lenalou said...

I added a picture! Though I don't know that it really captures it...I need to take more up there.

Marie said...

Didn't know it was possible, but I'm even jealouser than before. That is beautiful.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Wow! I think you should go there everyday and bring gelato with you. Perfection!