Sunday 27 May 2007

Lena and the Brazilian Sexologist

...which does NOT sound like a good title for a fairytale. Once again, the fun of travelling alone. You wait in line for hours at the Uffizi, and get talking, and before you know it you’re eating pizza and discussing religion and men with the very nice aforesaid Brazilian. Now I have a standing invitation to Rio. This world is full of such fun people.

What was really fun, was seeing the David with someone else in awe of it/him. I’m perfectly happy in museums on my own on the whole, but it’s also lovely to have someone there to enthuse with. It was Fernanda’s first visit to Italy, and so I got to feel that slight and completely inauthentic sense of ownership that you get when you’re the one whose seen it before – but of course the really amazing part is that seeing David doesn’t feel familiar or in any way less awe-inspiring having seen it or one of its reproductions before. I won’t attempt to describe him as it’s been done by numerous people far more eloquently than I ever can.

2 comments:

Janean said...

So, when is your trip to Rio? My cleaning lady is from Brazil as well. And so is my favorite hair stylist at Sherman Kendall's. It must be a great country!

lenalou said...

I would love to go to Rio, but I'll be in economic recovery for a while after this little jaunt. Consistently wonderful people there though, appparently!