Friday 1 June 2007

Random Florence









Ah, flowers. This is in the Giardini di Boboli. I could have taken photos forever. I meant to wander around a bit, and sit and read under a tree somewhere, but ended up spending almost the whole day walking round the gardens. So pretty, in the best Italian tradition. Now, I still think that English gardens have everyone else beat that I’ve seen for showing off nature at it’s best, but these elegant gardens are wonderful examples of their kind.

Now, shut your eyes (well, half shut, so you can keep reading), and imagine you can smell roses (maybe you have some perfume or your grandmother’s soap or something to help). Then open wide and look!














Movie Magic

The other night I went to see Spiderman 3 at the Odeon. I noticed that day that they were showing it in English, and I thought (mistakenly) that there’d be subtitles, so it would be a good Italian lesson as well as entertaining. I bought my Maltesers and went in after the lights went down, so only had time to notice how immensely large and comfortable the seats were, with acres of leg room. Then at intermission (yes, really),the lights went up for a big reveal. Ta da! It’s a real theatre, with boxes and a dress circle, gilding and a gorgeous blue, gold and green stained glass dome in the centre. Very magical moment.

Then making my way home over the Ponte Trinita in the warm evening air, seeing the Ponte Vecchio lit over the Arno, walking through groups of people enjoying a drink and the air in the Piazza Sante Spirito…


Getting Me Some Culture

I also went to the Cezanne and Followers’ exhibition at the Strozzi. Beautiful, beautiful, bellissima. Was made to feel rather outclassed and inadequate by 13 year old Emily who studies art and theatre in London, and whose precocious and educated insights “Through the Eyes of Emily” are quoted on signs around the exhibits. Felt much more able to bond with 11 year old Claire, who said things like “He looks sad in this,” and appeared to have got bored halfway through the exhibition, as they stopped quoting her in the middle. There’s a girl I could have lunch with.

This is the spozzo (well) of Beatrice. I also visited the church where Dante and Beatrice are said to have met. I’m sure I’d find it all incredibly moving if I knew anything whatsoever about Dante and Beatrice. I know I’m exposing woeful ignorance, and I should be reading Dante while I’m here, but I’m rather enjoying my slightly lighter books about renovating old houses in Italy.















Pretty Shoes

However, I was somewhat moved by the Ferragamo museum (in the corner of which the spozzo happens to be). There are some beautiful shoes in this world and we all owe Salvatore a little for his role in that, though I slightly resent him making me dissatisfied with all my footwear. He shod Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Sophia Loren, the Duchess of Windsor (their lasts are on display there) and so many more of the world’s beautiful people. He also invented the wedge, did you know? He started making shoes for his sisters as a child, and opened his first shop as the age of 11. I momentarily wished that my brothers were shoemakers, and then remembered all the times they’ve fixed my car/given me life advice/helped me with maths homework/done a billion other slightly more practical and helpful things for me.




1 comment:

Janean said...

"Reading books about renovating old houses in Italy," eh? Could be books I loaned you... :)

If it makes you feel better, even Jeremy doesn't know about Dante and Beatrice.

Love the garden photos. Ah, I remember that place. It went on and on and there was no decent map of it... We bumped into a friendly British couple who let us look at their guidebook.