Tuesday 12 June 2007

When's Bingo Night?

I flew back to England for a few days to visit my dad; I really needed to do laundry. No, my dad said that it was cheaper than him continuing to pay for long phone calls to Italy, and as he decided not to visit me there, I got to be Mohammed, so to speak.
As soon as I arrived, we went off to St. Paul’s to marvel at the wonders of its architecture and history. Or, we might have sat at home doing the Telegraph crossword and complaining about the table manners of kids today. You don’t know.

Later, we went to a community theatre production of Fawlty Towers, today I mowed the lawn, and I think tonight we’ll watch a Jane Austen TV adaptation that my dad kindly taped for me. On Monday I will collect my pension from the post office and buy a knitted tea cosy.

I know I should be hitting Annabel’s and buying crack at King’s Cross Station – you know, making the most of London nightlife, but I actually like doing these old fogey activities.

Oh, and here’s the poster outside the community centre, which I think sums up local life quite well. See who’s next to the Cheeky Girls?


6 comments:

Marie said...

Ooo ooo ooo! I got me a brand new combine harvester! I can't believe I missed the show. It was on my calendar and everything.

I don't know how anyone could presume to play John Cleese playing Basil Fawlty. Basil Fawlty IS John Cleese. It's like someone trying to play Kermit the Frog. Did they do a good job? If you say yes, I probably won't believe you.

Marie said...

Oh dear. That previous comment reveals my long-hidden identity: I'm not a young American lady but rather an old British fogey. The truth had to come out eventually.

Ninny Beth said...

I'm not kidding, I'm convinced you are my wittiest friend,...but maybe that's because I read everything with a british accent...does that make ME my funniest friend? I miss you!!!!

PS. I did zen yoga last night and pulled something...that's what I get for allowing my only form of stretching for the last 5 weeks to be holding the hand bar above my head on the subway.

lenalou said...

Funnily enough, Marie, they basically played it as if they were doing impressions of John Cleese and Prunella Scales - so it wasn't that good, but I was still in stitches at some points -the writing is just good.

KaRyn, I am sorry you are injured! As far as the accent, I think it was Margot who said she wouldn't like me as much if I didn't have one...

Tech Geek said...

Hey, now, don't misquote me... I'd still like you, with or without the accent... Of course, I do love the accent... ;-)

Hey, It's Ansley said...

I laughed so hard at the pension and tea cozy part. Very funny! I find the just hanging out parts are usually some of my favorite moments on vacation.

Stay away from King's Cross, it's a bit dodgy!