Tuesday 12 June 2007

Close to Solstice

How many bookstores do you know that have a shelf dedicated to witchcraft? Maybe one or two little obscure places? Well, how about one that has multiple shelves, subdivided by “Spells and witchcraft,” “High Magic,” “Wicca,” “Golden Dawn” (or Golden Goddess or something) and similar? If you do, I’m guessing you’ve been to Glastonbury – spiritualist/hippie capital of England, if not the world. It’s a place where people walk around wearing robes and carrying staffs, and you can smell incense in the air.

It’s the old Isle of Avalon, and King Arthur and Guinevere were buried in the Abbey (at least, it has the most credible evidence of his burial, but I prefer to believe that he’s still sleeping in his cave, ready to help with a Great British Emergency).
It’s also where Joseph of Arimethea planted a staff that grew into a tree, and where the Chalice Well is found. Add these to Glastonbury Tor, which just LOOKS mystical, and you have a place where you can buy crystals, Giotto-themed Tarot cards, and tie-dye clothes, if one likes those, which one might have done once upon a time, in one’s teens.

They also have really bad singers on the streets. My dad: “What’s that bl--dy noise?”
Bookshop owner a few minutes later: “Oh good, my busker’s gone. I can open the door again.”


2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm sorry I was not in Glastonbury during a significant astronomical event! I remember we arrived there after Avebury and Stonehenge and chalkhill beasts and the Cheddar Gorge Caveman's bones, so overall it was a week full of ancient ghosts (mostly druidic ghosts). A decidedly spooky area of England, at least to my teenaged self. But no witches nor crystals, at least that I recall -- we were too rushed to stop in any shops. Sounds very entertaining, though. At least you've got wackos who are in tune with the cycles of the universe.

Janean said...

I almost wish you could stay in Europe and keep writing these entertaining posts. I'm so going to miss this!