Tuesday 26 June 2007

Hot in the City: Milan

Milan was hot. Not sure that I have much else to say. Really hot. Exhaustingly, drainingly, stickily, why am I bothering to lift my lukewarm water bottle to my lips, it’s just a waste of valuable energy as I’m going to die of heatstroke anyway, and I might as well use my last vestiges of strength to drag myself to that gelateria in the distance so I can die happy, although it’s probably a mirage come to think of it hot.

OK, so there were one or two interesting sights. Apparently I’m still having issues with believing guidebooks, or at least internalising what I read in them, because the guidebook told me that Milan’s duomo was the fourth largest cathedral in the world, and my reaction when I saw it was still “wow, that’s absolutely enormous!!!” And beautiful, and quite different from all the Tuscan ones I’ve got used to lately.








There was a rather creepy crypt downstairs, where I couldn’t help imagining nasty Inquisitional-type things happening (not based on historical fact), and an installation that consisted of a big black square overlaying most of the screen of a segment of Zeffirelli’s film about the Passion.

And then I went to the Brera Pinoteca, where they had everything from 4000 year-old figures to Braque. Standouts were Piero della Francesca’s Pala Montefeltro, Raphael’s Spozalizio della vergine, and Hayez’s Kiss. There are some paintings that seem to light up the room when you enter, and those were the ones for me today. The fact that I could still care about paintings when I was on the brink of death from dehydration says a lot about Piero and his colleagues.

Here’s the park. Doesn’t it look nice and green and cool? It’s not.










Here’s me ready to go home now. Utah’s probably lovely and cool right now, isn’t it?







I might manage one or two more posts before I wrap this up, but if not, thanks for reading - I can't tell you how nice it's been to get your blog comments and emails!

6 comments:

Tech Geek said...

Well, how about we just say that at least Utah isn't as humid as Italy, eh? So, you can still look forward to returning... ;-)

Marie said...

Thank you for venturing out in the swelter and melt to get us a picture of that gorgeous cathedral. Stone lace? Is that possible?

It's kinda cookin' right now, but we'll try to get things cooled down before you touch down.

Heidi said...

I miss you and will be happy to have you back, but I'm also a little sad to not be able to live vicariously through you anymore. Will it be hard to leave, or are you ready to be home?

Janean said...

Lena, you were in Milan and you didn't mention seeing The Last Supper??

lenalou said...

I tried booking tix to see the Last Supper a month in advance, but apparently it needs to be about two months in advance. I was disappointed, but I guess taht means I'll have to go back to Italy some time.

Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Janean said...

TWO MONTHS IN ADVANCE?? I had no idea.