Tuesday 19 June 2007

Festa

Tonight I was in my apartment, working diligently, when I became aware of a noise outside my window. I didn’t pay much attention at first, assuming it was the street washers (they have little trucks that wash the streets every so often, which is a GOOD THING given the amount of dog poop around. I should introduce the pooper scooper amd make zillions), or possibly the Hare Krishnas (they like to chant a LOT), but then I realised it was a more regular noise – thump thump THUMP…thump thump THUMP…and when I looked out my window, there was a long line of men wearing renaissance costume, banging drums, and twirling flags, making their way to the Ponte Vecchio. I have NO idea why, but it was very colourful and Florentine.




(Check out the guy in the orange trews. In a very stylish country, orange and mustard-coloured trousers with everything are a rather questionable trend.








Life imitating art.

It’s fun being able to see Italian art and people at the same time. You can see the same faces on the street that are in the 600 year-old paintings. Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose.

Oh, that?

The other day I walked round the corner and wondered why everyone was looking up and taking pictures – was something happening? – and then realised that it was the Palazzo Vecchio drawing their attention. When did I become blasé about the palazzo Vecchio? It’s not that I don’t still notice how beautiful it is, it’s just not a novelty any more.

I love daily life here – and I love that it’s become familiar to me. I don’t need a map to find my way to the supermarket. I have my favourite places to read, favourite street bands, and I notice when my favourite shop window displays change.

Only one more week of this…



My own pic of the Palazzo Vecchio, taken when I was a young tourist two months ago.

2 comments:

Marie said...

These people are the trend-setters, are they not? Right after the French? I'll be watching for Lena in pumpkin pantaloons, Spring '08.

I remember similar moments toward the end of my stay in Jerusalem. "Yeah, yeah, people -- it's the Western Wall. So could you step aside, please? I'm headed for the real attraction 'round here: the falafel stand..."

Hey, It's Ansley said...

It's not that you aren't appreciative of the main tourist attractions, you have also discovered a deeper layer that 's not mentioned in travel books. Those people (myself included, since I spent 4 whole days in Florence) know they have been to Florence and liked it and saw some cool things but can't remember if their hotel was north or south of the train station or exactly how they got to the Central Market. But you will, Florence is now in your brain forever. Very exciting.