Wednesday 13 June 2007

Santa Croce


I visited Santa Croce and got to see Giotto’s fresco of St. Francis, with those astonishingly solid-looking figures and expressive faces. I remember drawing a copy of that fresco from a book in school, so feel a special affinity to the lines and characters. It is thrilling to come across these jewels. Some time I must have heard that the Death of St. Francis was in Santa Croce in Florence, but it clearly didn’t mean a lot at the time, as when I saw it, it was totally unexpected. I wanted to point at it to all the other tourists. Look! Giotto! He’s a friend of mine…sort of.

5 comments:

Hey, It's Ansley said...

So very "Room with a View." Was Julian Sands there by chance?

lenalou said...

I wish! That's funny you should mention Rm w/ a view - I went to an Italian dubbed version of it the other day. Very fun to see, when so many of the locations are just down the street.

Marie said...

"Built by faith indeed! That simply means the workers weren't paid properly."

Ansley can have Julian Sands if I can have Danny.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Marie - You're on a nickname basis with him? Impressive. One can say firstname basis, can I say nickname basis? I also liked the brother, Freddy, I believe played by Rupert Graves, such a British name. So cute on the concertina.

Marie said...

Yeah, me and Danny, we go way back. I made the mistake of introducing him to Arthur Miller and the next thing you know...oh well.

Freddy is adorable, with his floppy hair and defiantly poor taste in music and friends. "I do hope these Emersons are the RIGHT sort of people. Yes, Freddy, there IS a right sort and a wrong sort."