Friday 22 June 2007

Really, Mind-numbingly Stupid Things I Did That I Was Too Embarrassed to Write About Before Now (Incomplete).

And you thought the train to Fiesole was a low point. As I start preparing to go home, I thought I’d share this little summary. This list is clearly marked INCOMPLETE, hopefully ensuring that the Gods of Karma and Superstition don’t think I am suffering from hubris and make me do something even stupider in the next few days.

Don’t judge me.

Booking my overnight train to Rome for the WRONG day and not realising until the conductor told me, and then being freaked out for the whole journey, as every time a new conductor came round I expected them to drag me off the train and either leave me on a platform in the middle of Austria/Italy in the middle of the night to be murdered by mountain bandits, or put me in jail for train fraud and then have me SHOT by firing squad in the morning. What? It was night – so maybe my imagination gets a little overactive at night. Leave me alone.

Leaving my computer cord in P’s car in Vienna, before taking the train to Rome. Thank you, Royal Mail. The Italian postal service refused to take it to the convent, thus beginning my rocky relationship with them.

Taking the train to Fiumicino airport in Rome. Well, part of the way there. This was unwise, as my plane was leaving from Ciampino. Fortunately something said “maybe you should check your ticket,” and I hopped off quick smart at the next station.

Leaving my camera at the hostel in Rome. Bless the honest innkeeper and his safe for keeping it secure for me. And bless the voice in my head for making me check my bag just before I got on the train. The right train, for once.

Yes, I know I shouldn’t be let out on my own. I now check my plane ticket home about six times a day. I do notice that all these things seem to be connected to Rome, so let’s hope that that is the Bermuda triangle of my brain. But NOT hope in a HUBRISTIC, ASKING FOR TROUBLE kind of way.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

So glad I'm not the only one who does stupid things like these. :)

Hey, It's Ansley said...

For me, travel mistakes like these have a way of quickly turning into OCD-like checking of tickets, ID, cameras, iPods, and anything else that I would hate to lose.

Have fun in your last few days!